As the sun is set to shine this week, we are preparing for a guaranteed barbecue and our recipe is a corker.
When the coals are out, so are the meat eaters and if you are a vegetarian you become easily forgotten. Next time you’re invited to a barbecue remember to take some asparagus spears and this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 375g (12 oz) tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 500g (1 lb) young asparagus spears
- 50g (2 oz) pine nuts, toasted
- 25g (1 oz) parmesan cheese, shaved into thin slivers
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Warm bread to serve
Place the vinegar, garlic, chopped tomatoes and 5 tablespoons of the olive oil in a small bowl. Mix well to combine.
Trim the asparagus spears to remove any tough, fibrous stems. Brush the asparagus with the remaining olive oil and cook on an oiled barbecue grill over medium coals 5-6 minutes until tender.
Divide the asparagus between 4 warmed serving plates. Spoon over the balsamic vinegar and tomato dressing, top with the pine nuts and parmesan slivers and sprinkle with the sea salt flakes and pepper. Serve at once with plenty of warm bread to mop up the juices.